Saturday, May 12, 2012

Peter Pan

















While I feel this requires no explanation, I will admit that I recently went on a date with someone 10 years younger than me. In the past, I would never have entertained this idea, but he was polite and straightforward, and enthusiastic, qualities I like, which are often lacking in men in a more appropriate age bracket. While sparks didn't fly, (I just couldn't get over the experiential difference as a result of our age gap) I enjoyed talking to him.


I made this piece to remind myself of a few things: sometimes men who are "perfect" on paper (live in a convenient and desirable location, have a similar education level, are an appropriate age, personable, funny and smart), are not mature when it comes to their relationships with women. In the past I had a hard time accepting this. I simply couldn't believe that any adult could willingly refuse to accept adult responsibilities, particularly in a romantic context. If you had a choice to nurture a loving relationship with someone you clearly liked, why wouldn't you pursue it?


Now, after having lived through some romantic disappointments, I am well aware that we don't know anyone until we're actually involved with them. Often, our fantasies don't pan out as "planned." Best to not "plan" anything and keep an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment