Sunday, March 29, 2009

When the Shoe Doesn't Fit

I've tried on and run in many pairs of sneakers, just as I've tried out many men. I am not sure in which area I have done more research.

"When the Shoe Doesn't Fit," finished piece at right, says:
"My slow accumulation of boyfriends, like pairs of running sneakers. Some hurt and were hardly worn. I hoped some would mold, magically, to my feet. Others, I ran in blissfully. I held on as long as they held up. Now, after years of waiting for the other shoe to drop, I know to try on many pairs until I find one I won't want to take off. I know when to say no, even if it hurts. And I am learning how to slow down."

As for learning to slow down, I am picking up speed and mileage.


The drawings at left, my study for the finished piece at right, are from an
embroidery class I taught at Etsy Labs in Brooklyn last spring. After my students practiced French knots (see right-hand image), which require small, tight movements, there were sighs of frustration. To loosen up, I had my students do a continuous line drawing of one of my sneakers. This exercise is like a game where you continue drawing and do not pick up your pen until I say stop. I participated, too, and later went home and added more sneakers.

To sign up for an embroidery class:
Etsy at 3rd Ward in Bushwick, Brooklyn:
http://www.3rdward.com/classes/spring/etsyward
see Extraordinary Embroidery.
Next one is Saturday, April 11, 12noon-3pm.




No comments:

Post a Comment