Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Perfectly Disheveled

I don't love everything I make. There are pieces I complete and hide in a drawer because something about them just doesn't satisfy me. 

I recently sat down with Muriel Guepin, curator of Shop Art Gallery, to select work for a show I'm in opening this Saturday. Before meeting her, I went through my "archives," and found the piece above, "Perfectly Disheveled." I made it in the summer of 2007. It is a true story, and while the text is kind of sweet, I was never happy with the drawing. I had sketched him out on paper first, and he was so much more dynamic before I stitched him. What I got right were his proportions, his lankiness, and the way he looked hidden inside his clothes.

Please, if you're in the New York area, join me for the opening of Visual Vernacular this coming Saturday, October 3, 6-9pm at Shop Art Gallery: 51 Bergen Street near Smith. F/G train to Bergen is the closest form of public transport. This piece is just one of more than 20 that will be exhibited.


No comments:

Post a Comment