Sunday, June 14, 2009

Antique fabric and what I'm dreaming of

I love when my artwork helps bring new friends into my life. Paula Overbay, a fellow artist I met at the recent Affordable Art Fair in New York City passed on to me a wonderful piece of antique, Irish fabric. The piece at left is how I am using this delicate lace.

This piece, when finished, will hold a collection of my aphorisms or "post-it notes;" my small-scale comments on fabric. I think of it as a text quilt.


So far, the piece says:
"I'm mourning the relationship we never had, and thinking
of the ways I would have loved you."

"I don't want to be the girl
you call for homework.
I want to be the girl you
go out with Friday night."

Somehow, as a single 34-yr-old woman, dating still reminds me of how I felt in high school.
 

1 comment:

  1. You know, it's sad...I think lots of situations remind us of high school. No matter who you are, that's kind of where your true "role" was identified. I think I will always feel like the one who is alone in a room, no matter what the situation, no matter how many friends surround me. Lovely new pieces too:)

    ReplyDelete