Friday, August 17, 2012

3D Printing - Technology strikes again

A couple of weeks ago, my internal landscape changed when I used an embroidery machine for the first time. Last night, I had another technologically-induced thrill: I used a 3D printer for the first time! A group of designers, educators, and engineers who call themselves the NYC Makery set up shop at the Invisible Dog Art Center on Bergen Street, just a stone's throw away from my apartment. I visited the NYC Makery pop up tech "camp" last night, and they helped me make this small 3D "OMG."

There is what I call a waffle underneath the letters. (One of the Makery folks told me it's a "raft.") The raft/waffle only appears when your object, rendered in 3D software, is above the picture plain. The printer created this lattice upon which my design rests to account for the distance between my letters and the printer base. 

I love the OMG and waffle! I am hoping to investigate 3D lettering and printing in more depth at another time.

The NYC Makery pop up will be at the Invisible Dog through the end of next week...




No comments:

Post a Comment