Saturday, February 6, 2010

Come to Brooklyn

In preparation for this year's Affordable Art Fair, from May 6th-9th at 7 West New York (on 34th Street near 5th Ave), Muriel of Muriel Guepin Gallery has asked me to created some Brooklyn-related pieces. It's fun having an "assignment," and being able to create work on a different theme using some of my tell-tale techniques.

This piece, "Come to Brooklyn," is an homage, one of several to come, for the place where I was born and have lived about 30 of my 34+ years. Yay Brooklyn!

The text says:
Iconic NYC structure seeks runners, walkers, skaters, dreamers, bikers to play on my celebrated footpaths - 1.1 miles of fun, the clack clack of wooden slats.

To prepare for this piece, I have run over the Brooklyn Bridge numerous times in the past month, trying to feel the spirit of the bridge. The female figure represents this spirit. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, KC!

    I just visited your web site and saw your embroidery. I love it!

    And I sent your link to a poet friend in Oakland, Ingrid Keir. I thought she would enjoy your work.

    I am working on our first piece, which is a stitched rendition of "Baker's Dozen." I hope to be able to email you a finished image this week. I am enjoying working with and reading your poems. Yay!

    ReplyDelete