Saturday, January 2, 2016

Happy New Year and my work as a social contract

For the past three years, I've struggled with how to make work that moves beyond sharing my own and others' personal stories into the realm of culturally-relevant commentary. It is possible that my own thinking and self-contextualization were the only barriers to this. What if I were to think of my work as a social contract, and myself as having a duty or responsibility to represent multiple voices as a way of speaking about contemporary social issues without being didactic or obnoxious?

A new version of my artist statement is underway. I am thinking of making it the home page of my web site. Good idea or ridiculous?!

4 comments:

  1. Interesting, will think about this myself whilst wait to hear more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Di, for expressing some interest in my thought process. I decided that my artist statement is too didactic to go on my home page...but I edited it with new artwork – www.IvivaOlenick.com

      How is your work going? I shared your Google page with a friend, and she loves what you're doing (as do I).

      Delete
  2. Oh sadly no work at present. Sold my house bought another in need of work and moved my mother in law in from interstate. The shoes are showing in another venue next month and I would love to add something to them but with all the house crap .I haven"t been able to clear my mind to think. I embroider little white net feathers while traveling for a long term swan project. This morning I found a wonderful image of an old muff that excited me , possibilities?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds unfortunately complicated. Swan project sounds interesting. I hope to see images some day.

      Delete